Costuming at Arisia
Arisia attracts some very impressive and dedicated costumers whom we try to support in as many ways as possible. We have a full Costuming track of panels and workshops, and organize one of the largest Masquerades of its style in the Northeast. Our Hall Costume game is nothing to sneeze at, either. Whether you’ve made your costume from scratch or purchased it online, whether you want to present yourself in front of our judges or just have fun wandering the halls, we've got you covered.
If you’re interested in Arisia’s Masquerade, we have a full description on our Masquerade page. This includes rules and a description of the event itself.
Online signup for this year's showcase are open! Start here: Masquerade.
Cosplay and Hall Costuming
Arisia attendees show off their love of costuming in the hallways and event rooms of the convention, with attire that they build or purchase. You'll see people creating new characters or re-creating characters from beloved media. The costuming contingent at Arisia has grown tremendously over the past few years and we'd love to have you join in. As noted below, you may even win an award for your efforts.
Help Make Cosplay and Hall Costuming Even Better
- Per our Code of Conduct, costume weapons are permitted at Arisia, but must be peace-bonded by The Watch, Arisia's security team, upon arrival at the convention.
- The Code of Conduct also explicitly forbids touching without permission; this includes both the costumers and their costumes. Please ask - many costumers love to show off their handiwork.
- All hall costumes and cosplay outfits must be street-legal if they are worn in the general areas of the hotel and convention.
- Be mindful of your personal safety as well as the safety of other attendees. If your costume limits your vision or hearing, think ahead about getting assistance to travel through the hallways.
- When walking around the con, please do not block the hallways or emergency exits. Be careful of loose fabric and accessories while traveling on the escalators.
- When stopping to take photos, be aware of the flow of traffic and step out of the way so attendees can still get by, or head down to the dedicated Photo Booth area on the Concourse.
Cosplay Repair Station
Ripped a hole in your costume? Broke your prop? Need help to fix your jewelry? Come down to 1W, across from Grand C, and we'll have tools and supplies to help you out. From safety pins to sewing machine, from soldering iron to duct tape and staple gun. Plus knowledgeable McGuyvers and Jacks- and Janes-of-all-trades to help you think outside the box for more complex problems.
Hall Costume Awards
The Northern Lights Costumers' Guild is happy to again sponsor Arisia's Hall Costume Awards. If we find you in the hallways at the convention wearing or carrying something really, really neat we will be pleased to recognize your accomplishment by the community. And, we may be recruiting for the Masquerade! No matter where or when, if you deserve a prize, we'll find you. You can find out more about us at noelcg.costume.org. Please come play with us!
The photo booth is back! Head on down to the Concourse where we will have a backdrop, lighting, and a photographer available to make your cosplay or costume look its best. Check the Pocket Program or online schedule for Photo Booth hours.
Photo Booth schedule:
Saturday & Sunday: 10:30AM - 5:00 PM